Friday, October 12, 2007

Articles

---I love Madeleine L'engle. She's awesome.

---...Wow. I just looked up L'engle's name to make sure I spelled it right, and they're announcing a memorial of her on her website. She died on September 6th, 2007. 88 years old and having written sixty books in her lifetime. My Dad used to read me and my siblings "A wrinkle in Time" before bed when we were little.

---I've read her books all my life, but this article was especially interesting to read this because I've been slowly making my way through "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking. So I've been reading about the 'beginning' of time, and singularities, and different theories of time and space. It's really interesting.

---I really liked her point that really, we should never get bored. Since we have the ability for "high creativity" and all. I should have reminded myself of that last night, instead I watched three hours of HG-TV. Very, very sad.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Photo Aday Keeps the Mundane Away

---This has always been an idea that interested me. A photo a day. A small sketch a day. A tiny, quick painting a day. I've never actually managed it. But it's a nice idea. I've seen some "movies" on YouTube of people who took their own pictures, every day, in the same spot. It's somehow fascinating to watch their hair grow, and their clothes flip between summer short-sleeves and winter scarves, their expressions change.


---But Jeff Harris's idea would be even more intriguing. Where other people take his picture every day, doing normal things. Just what he does. It would be a nice reminder of however much of a pedestal we might like to stick people on. In some ways, we're all the same.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deadpan Intensity & Art That Demands and Rewards

---I usually don't like minimalist art, so I would have to agree with the author of ATD&R; three bricks and a twig laying on the ground has no appeal and even less meaning. But minimalist mirrors that show pictures when you breathe on them is pretty sweet. I had never heard of the work of Oscar Munoz before, but that is a unique way of remembering those who have disappeared in Columbia.


---Making art that slowly disintigrates, disappears, ect. after you spend all this time to put it together, has never really occurred to me. It almost seems to defy one of the purposes of art. But at the same time, it heightens the experience of art, because it won't be there for long, so you might pay attention and appreciate it more.

1 comment:

Petra Zantingh said...

Good comments & observations on the readings.