Sunday, October 14, 2007

Progress

---Like everyone else, I have a midterm this week, so I've been trying to do as much as I can over this weekend.

---My first stop was Home Depot to pick up scrap wood for the base. Then I needed to figure out what I could use for a hand crank, and what I could use for the 'globe' to rotate on top of. The only cranks at Home Depot turned out to be window openers. So I hopped onto the internet.

---After a few hours of searching, I finally found the perfect crank while I was scouring the Canadian Tire website. An ice fishing reel.

---We went on Saturday. The one that I was after wasn't set out yet, and they couldn't find it in the back, but there was another, slightly more expensive one that would work just as well. I still needed something that I could put a spool of twine around. Something that had two parts, one that could spin, and one that would stay still. At first I was thinking a hollow pipe with a rod inside it that I could somehow attach to my base, but they didn't have anything that would work. I had the fleeting idea of a toilet paper dispenser, but that either wouldn't have been able to turn, or wouldn't be able to support itself.

---So I was on my way back to the plumbing section for another look when I passed a bunch of kitchen utensils. And there it was. A corkscrew. It solved the problem of attaching it to the wood and it spun beautifully. The only thing wrong with it was that my new spool of twine wouldn't fit around it, so I hacked apart a toilet paper roll and attached it to the corkscrew with black electrical tape.

---The next part was fun. I wrapped the twine around the toilet paper roll while watching a couple of movies.

---Next, I started to put things together. I nailed the base and screwed in the corkscrew until its little metal arms were partially upraised (hopefully they'll be used later to support the globe). I also used two screws to attach the fishing reel to the wood (it's a nice reel, I want to be able to take it off and use it for other projects).


---Lacking popsicle sticks, I built a reasonably durable tower of toilet paper rolls that I might use to attach to the corkscrew handle and it would support the wire that comes out of the top of the globe and hold the paper airplane (which, in theory, should stay still while the globe is turning).

---The globe itself I began to make by covering a beach ball with paper mache and letting it dry. I managed to take the beach ball out safely through a hole, but I think I'll have to cut the globe in half anyways to make sure the parts are built stable enough in the middle.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What was the end up of your globe?